5-Year Program + 2-Year Advance Program
Aim: Self-Development Program // Master of Science in Yoga // Yoga Therapist as a Paramedical Professional
Yoga is a long life journey. For those students who are interested in diving deep into the spiritual practice, experiencing first self-growth before embarking upon the teaching journey, we offer a long term study & space for self-development at the Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre. The aim is to give special program for those who are interested to turn their life into a Yoga Path, would like become Masters in Yoga Science and Teaching to others, as well as those interested to become Paramedical Therapists.
The program will be specially tailored for the need of the teacher trainee student - depending on what physical or psychological ailments the person would like to help specific long term practice under supervision will be assigned. This is the first step to learning yoga therapy. The practice will be assessed regularly. Consultation with the Master Yoga Teacher Sharat Arora will be scheduled.
It all starts with the Self-Practice before you become a truly ready & qualified person to teach & guide others on the spiritual journey.
After the initial completion of the TTC 1 the teacher trainee will be allowed to participate / watch the classes on all levels conducted by the Master Teacher.
And the long-term Self-Development & TTC training begins
Long Term Yoga Trainee will participate in the normal short term courses throughout the year, as a self practice & self study, the Trainee will explore the topics of the semester guided by the Master Teacher.
It is to be understood, that only serious practitioners, who are fully dedicated are encouraged to take up the Long Term Yoga - Self-Development // Teacher Training // Paramedical Therapist - Study Program.
The tradition of Yoga has always been passed on individually from teacher to student through oral teaching and practical demonstration. The formal techniques that are now known as Yoga are, therefore, based on the collective experiences of many individuals over many thousands of years. The particular manner in which the techniques are taught and practiced today depends on the approach passed down in the line of teachers supporting the individual practitioner. Yoga is essentially a spiritual discipline based on an extremely subtle science, which focuses on establishing harmony between mind, body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment; harmony between man and nature and a holistic approach to health and well-being. Yoga is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with ourselves, the world and Nature. It is an art and science for healthy living. The word "Yoga" is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘yuj’ meaning "to join", "to yoke" or "to unite". Therefore the aim of yoga is to unite the individual consciousness with the supreme consciousness. Yoga is a science and art of living; also it is a body of techniques that lead us to consciously connect with ourselves and with life, the experience of yoga. As yoga is an art and science, there is no dogma or belief system attached to it. Yoga tells us to do a certain practice and feel their effect following the practice, e.g. if we breath slowly in a relaxed manner we will slow our heart rate; if we focus the mind we will develop mental peace and deep insight. In addition to this, Yoga is becoming popular day by day and has become a wave which is sweeping across the globe. In this course we introduce yoga as a science of Holistic living and not merely as yoga postures. During the course the student is taught the concepts of Yoga for the treatment and prevention of various psychosomatic and life style related ailments. This course has the vision of producing yoga professional so that they could teach yoga therapy in a paramedical department of a hospital with the ability to select specific safe practice modules for different diseases and document their effectiveness for healing, health promotion, rejuvenation and age reversal through scientific researches.
I. Title of the Programme
The programme shall be called "Master of Science in Yoga”
II. Aim of the Programme
The aim of the programme is to produce "Yoga Therapist as a Paramedical Professional"
III. Objectives of the programme
- Prevention: To introduce yoga therapy, its principles and practices of yoga for prevention of various lifestyles, non-communicable and psychosomatic disorders. Promotion of positive health: To prepare them for giving talks and offer techniques to promote healthy yogic life style.
- Treatment: To create professional therapists of high calibre who know the concepts, 2 techniques and can handle lifestyle disease under the guidance of a super specialist doctor to select safe specific practices for different diseases.
- To create yoga therapy experts with in-depth knowledge based on yogic texts. For example, to train them ‘be and make’ i. e., ensure they practice what they teach.
- Social health: To establish holistic health, social harmony and world peace by training them to be great citizens who can offer yogic way of life as examples of right living.
The minimum duration of the program is spanning from 1 to 5 years which can be extended up to 7 years. 5 + 2 Years
The candidate should have completed TTC Level 1 from the Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre under the tutorage of the Master Yoga Teacher Sharat Arora.
VI. Scheme of Teaching and Examination
Sample Syllabus of the Themes covered
(Examplary 5 + 2 Years Study at the Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre)
2-Year Additional Advance Program
TTC LEVEL 1 & TTC LEVEL 2 COMPONENTS DESCRIPTIONS:
Initial TTC LEVEL 1
If you want to be a Yoga Teacher who can teach and help anyone regardless of age, experience or physical condition then this is the Teachers Training Course for you. The Sharat Arora Yoga Method is a unique evolution of the BKS Iyengar tradition that is designed to heal the human body on every level. The course is not only about knowing all the details of the Method, but being able to convey it to others and having enough practical expertise to guide them on the physical, mental and energetic level. It is designed for motivated practitioners who wish to make the spiritual path of Yoga their way of life and would like to share it with others.
Sample Daily Schedule:
5:00 – 7:30 Self-Practice
7:30 Tea and self-made breakfast
8:00 – 12:00 Class with Master Yoga Teacher Sharat Arora* (10 – 10.15 Tea Break) 12:00 – 12:45 Lunch break
1:00 – 3:00 Rest/ self-study
3:00 – 5:45 Teaching methodology: corrections, use and function of props, body diagnosis**
5:45 – 7:00 Relaxation and Pranayama
8:00 Rest and bed***
During the course you will learn:
- Sequencing of the both the HIYC 5-Day Courses and special or focused classes as you might teach away from the HIYC
- Demonstration of Asanas, including modifications for all body types, injuries, ailments etc
- The use of props and their modification and application for the individual’s needs
- Study of human Anatomy and Physiology as it applies to the Asanas and common student ailments
- How to modify the practice and structure a class according to the needs of the students of different ages, in different situations such as sports practitioners, office workers, children, pregnant women and mothers
- Body Diagnosis: how to read people on a physical, mental and energetic level from their bodies, postures and walking
- Learning and Practising Corrections of common mistakes made by practitioners
- Yoga Therapeutics and the application of the Method for different kinds of body and mind ailments and problems, and how to adjust with props
- Yoga Philosophy including the practical study of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Yoga Ethics; the moral aspects and responsibilities of being a Yoga Teacher and how these are passed through the Sharat Arora Yoga Method
- How the method integrates meditation and freedom of the breath within each pose
- The structure of the Pranayama practice you learned during the Immersion Course so that you can continue a sustained Self-Practice to further your development as a teacher
PROGRAM AFTER TTC LEVEL 1:
Upon completion of the TTC you will be certified as a LEVEL 1 TEACHER of the Sharat Arora Yoga Teacher Method*. At this stage we invite you to come and study yoga with us as an intern in our centres in Dharamkot and Goa.
As an intern you will be mentored and encouraged in your self-development as a teacher through regular meetings and corrections classes. After each month you will be assessed on your development on a practical and personal level.
TTC LEVEL 2
At this point you are eligible to attend our Second Level Teachers Training Course (TTC2). The TTC2 is scheduled exclusively every 2-3 years or when we have enough experienced and Affiliated Teachers who are ready for this progression. Only teachers at this level may attend and afterwards will be a certified LEVEL 2 Teacher.
* Certification and affiliation remain at Sharat Arora’s discretion and length of time may vary on an individual basis and will be based on your performance in class and the monthly assessments
The 2nd Level Teachers Training Course goes deeper into the exploration and recognition of students’ blockages on the mental and energetic planes and learning how to help removing those blockages. It takes us further into Therapeutics of Yoga Practice. For this reason, those applying should have some knowledge and understanding of common ailments, their symptoms and cures both in allopathic and alternative therapies.
In addition to teaching and assisting, if you want to be a LEVEL 2 TEACHER of the Sharat Arora Yoga Method you must write five creative research papers on each of the following topics:
- Yoga Anatomy/Physiognomy of an Asana or Pranayama
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Comparison of a religion with Yoga
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Ayurvedic Medicine
Each Topic should be 8-12 pages of A4 format written in Verdana Font type size 12. You may write more but it should not exceed 30 pages. The papers must be original work, based on your own research and practice. You may use quotations but they should exceed 5%, the remaining 95% should be original writing, and the source of the citation and the author should be mentioned.
Price for the 5 years + 2 years long-term study : 2950 USD / 2550 Euro per year inclusive of food & stay at the Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre.
The program is individually tailored for each trainee. We run regularly shorter courses, if you are interested in deepening your spiritus practice, become master in yoga teaching and paramedical yoga therapist specialist then this 5+2 years is suit for you. We recommend the applicant to firstly complete the TTC LEVEL 1 & see how you resonate with the SAYM practice (BKS Iyengar Yoga Evolution). Then onward the person is eligible to sign for long term study & the training will be scheduled.